Saturday 28 September 2013

C64 Coding Adventure - An Introduction



Hello! Welcome to a new coding adventure, into the land of yesteryear...

Back in the early 80s, when home computers exploded upon us all, I became the proud owner of a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. That little beast was responsible for a hobby that ultimately grew into a career that blossoms to this day.

However, some of my classroom rivals naturally enough had the competing Commodore 64 (boooo!) - a machine that I insisted was nowhere near as fabulously awesome as my own Speccy. How could it be?

Well, fast-forward to the (more or less) here and now, where I found myself looking about for a new retro coding project to dive into, when it dawned on me: why not go back to that old playground competitor, and see what really made it tick?

I have never owned a C64. Until now, other than the odds and ends gleaned from a rabid C64 fanatic at school, I never learned how to code it in any way whatsoever. I've never coded on a 6502/6510, and wouldn't know a VIC vector if it smacked me in the face.

That is all about to change...

What I note here in the coming (likely sporadic) weeks and months is my own personal What If time-travelling excursion into an unknown world... and a traitorous crossing of territories.

Was the ZX Spectrum really the King Of The Home Computer Playground?

Let's find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment